October 03, 2012

Samples, because messing up isn't good enough.

So for my unit 120 I have been doing samples; testing for my completed project! (It's a secret what I'm making!)

Here's what I produced...



The two photo's above are different ways of sewing curved and pointed seams.
To make them lie flat and neat I cut notches and triangles into the seam allowance.
The only problem I had was my pointed seam was a bit sque-whiff.


The above image is my concealed/invisible zip. 
The one on the left is my failed attempt, as I sewed the zip tape too much and couldn't actually pull the zip pull through.



The two above images show my perfected concealed/invisible zip.



The two images above are of my flat felled seam (jean seam as you may know it).
I believe this went really well, considering I had completely forgotten how to do it from last year.


Above shows my two different bias binding techniques.
The orange one on the right is completely folded on to on side of the fabric.
The black one on the left shoes bias binding as most of us know it, so it shows on both sides.
I think bias binding is a pain in the bum, but I love the finished look of it.


Above is my curved bias binding. Convex and Concave.
Handy that bias binding is usually stretchy. I struggled at both of these but I don't think they turned out too badly. Did they?
The binding has been completely folded onto one side of the fabric like the orange binding in the previous image.


This is the front view of my fly zip. 


The reverse of my fly zip.


My fly zip opened.
This zip was awfully complicated and I struggled to understand but in the end my zip turned out really well! I was really proud of my outcome.


This is my lined, patch pocket.
This is an applied pocket as it is sewn onto the surface of a garment.
This was dead easy! 
The only problem I had was when sewing my top stitch, to attach it to the garment I sewed it a little too close to the edge as you might be able to see on the bottom corners.



Inside my pocket. 
Not a great image, sorry.


This is my completed structured pocket.
A structured pocket is usually found on the hip of a pair of jeans/trousers/skirts.


This is the reverse view of my pocket, with the pocket bag.


This is the inside of my pocket.
Again on this I did well but sewed to far away from the edge this time.
Just can't get it right! HAHA!
I also need to make sure I stick to one seam allowance and not get bigger and smaller.

What do you think?
Have you ever done anything like this?

Better to practise then to mess up the final garment, right?

XOXO

No comments: