February 29, 2012

Velvet goddess!

On Saturday I made a pair of high waisted, velvet, black shorts!
I have been dying for a pair and I gave up searching for a pair I could afford or even liked!
So here's how the magic happened...


This is where I started, with a pair of old shorts folded . I drew round these then measured from my hip to my waist and added the length on to the top. In my case it was about 11cm.
I also added about 2/3cm on the bottom to make them a bit longer than the actual shorts, as they are a little revealing!

This is what I ended up with.

I added a 1.5cm seam allowance and then cut my pattern piece out.
I chose a black velvet/velour fabric and lay it out on my bedroom floor.
I saved a LOT of fabric by folding it only as far as I needed it, so I now have quite a bit left.
I think a skirt making session is in order!

These are my cut out pieces all pinned on the outside of the leg and ready to go!

My outside leg all sewn up.

I sewed all my edges and hems in a zig zag stitch so they don't fray, as I do not have an overlocker! 

I did my hems with great difficulty and the material is all slippy and a pain in the bum!
My beautiful pink leopard print leggings there! Ha!Ha!

Hem on the opposite side.

My second leg hem, pinned with about a million pins to hold it in place!
Leggings again! I love those things! Ha!

Second hem all done and dusted!

The inside leg sewn up.

The most complicated bit of all... Sewing the two pieces together!
I had to put them right sides together and to do this I had to put them inside on another.
Then pin from one bottom leg right round the the other.
I'll admit I had a little help from my Mum to do this! But again a million pins were used! Ha!Ha!

The final pinning again!


I apologise for the bad photography and everything but this is my shorts finished and all jazzed up ready to go out and see  State of Quo!!! THEY WERE AMAZING!!!


I hope you like my shorts! Let me know what you think!


XOXO

No comments: