January 12, 2012

Your wardrobe isn't complete without a maxi skirt!

In pattern cutting at college we are learning to make skirts with all sorts of features and cuts.
The last couple of weeks before Christmas we made a pattern for a maxi skirt, using our skirt blocks (featured in an earlier blog) and then manipulated them to create flare and a button stand.

To start my maxi skirt pattern I traced around my skirt block and added length.
I manipulated the patterns so as to take out the darts. I did this by drawing vertical lines from the bottom of the darts and slashing up them. I then closed the darts. The skirt then automatically opened out giving it flare.
To create the extra flare I added 2.5cm to the hem line and joined this new point up to the hip line.



This is my manipulated pattern for my maxi skirt!
It looks like an octopus don't you think? Ha!


To create my final pattern I had to place this onto a sheet of paper and draw around the whole pattern adding seam allowance of 1.5cm. I didn't add the seam allowance to the CF and CB as these were cut on the fold.


---


For this skirt I had to buy 3metres of fabric that was 130cm wide!!!!


I failed this task!
As we were cutting our patterns out on the bias (this means it will stretch, this also means it makes it more difficult to pin and sew for me! Haha!) I had a few problems with the size of my fabric.
To problem solve my back piece was cut as two halves as I didn't have enough fabric. This meant I had to place a seam down the CB. I had a piece of fabric left over from another project, which luckily was the same fabric!
Of course this made my making longer than others! 


Note to self: Always get the right measurements of fabric!!!!! Ha!Ha!


---


Making the skirt wasn't too difficult, I just had an extra seam to sew compared to my peers.


I put my invisible zip and button hole on the right side of my skirt. I found these features really easy to sew, this was a bonus!


The hardest part to sew on the skirt was the hem! I had to over lock all the way around my hem. Then once it was overlocked I then turned up the overlocking and ironed this to then have to fold and iron this again,keeping it as small as possible!
It was horrific! It was stretching and moving and I kept burning myself on the iron! 
One word; Horrendous! 


---


This is my much loved button and very well fitted invisible zip!
Invisible zips are my fave! So easy to fit and look so great!




And isn't my button just the cutest?
It looks like white and milk chocolate swirled together! Marvellous!!
I absolutely LOVE buttons! The one thing that comes in handy is loving sewing button holes too, especially on domestic machines!


For the waist band (which is where you can see the button) I had to measure the top of my skirt and added 4cm for the button stand (this is where you will have your button hole).
I decided on the height of my waist band and doubled it so that it had a fold at the top.
This is my waistband and interfacing completed patterns!


---


Here's the final creation! (I tried it on. It fits. So proud!)



This is the front and the back! How elegant and pretty does it look? 
Looks like a bridal skirt, right? I have my profession sorted! Ha!


Then here's the right hand side (with my adorable button and my invisible zip) and the left side, which I am sad to say is boring!


---


Hope you like! Let me know what you think!


XOXO

No comments: