April 24, 2012

Nuno DaCosta.


Vicky: What first drew you to illustration/design? Nuno: I have always loved drawing, I remember lying on the floor drawing whilst watching the fashion shows on TV when I was a kid. Vicky: Do you have any formal design training? Nuno: No not really, I did my A-level art but went on to study languages at Kings. I had a huge change of heart, put together a portfolio and haven't looked back since! Vicky: Describe your studio/view from your studio window? Nuno: There is a painting desk where I do all my hand painting, there is a computer desk where I do all the retouching. There is also a big shelf full of magazines and books. Oh, there is also a cabinet for all the boring business stuff. The view is Suburbia; My garden, my neighbours' gardens and roof tops. Vicky: Do you collect anything?Nuno: I collect Vogue magazine, UK , French, Spanish, Japanese and Italian. They take up a lot of space!! Vicky: Do you keep a scrapbook?Nuno: I used to at school, maybe I should take it up again!!


Vicky: What is the first record you bought? Nuno: It was the Goonies soundtrack. I love Cyndi Lauper. Vicky: Tell us about a favourite project you've recently completed. Nuno: Creating a nail design. It was called 'the Nuno Nail' and was based on my Caran D'Ache colouring pencils. That was pretty cool. Vicky: What would be your "dream job/commission"?Nuno: It would have to be working for John Galliano or Pat McGrath, his make up designer. I would love to contribute to their vision any way. Even if it was just sharpening pencils all day!! Vicky: Who is/are your art hero/oes? Nuno: I love the work of Jean-Paul Goude, Rene Gruau, Gustav Klimt, Egon Schielle and Jim Lee. Vicky: Who is/are your illustration hero/oes? Nuno: It has to be David Downton, he has proved that fashion illustration is not a dying art form. If I could ever be half as successful as him I would be very happy!! 

I found this interview with Nuno on THIS website.
I really like that he is partially self taught as he only did A level ART. When looking at his work you wouldn't be able to notice he hasn't had proper training or a degree.
When he said he collected British, Japanese, French, Spanish and Italian, Vogue I grew even fonder of DaCosta. I LOVE VOGUE! 
(Talking of Vogue my Mum ordered me a 10 month subscription yesterday! SO EXCITED!!!!!!)

His most inspiring works...

I love the texture effect Nuno has used on this skirt. I think it looks like fur or feathers.


Nuno created this painting for 'Top London Salon; Hari's Salon'.
'The image is based on his Caran D'Ache colouring box set, using a different colour for each nail, now known as the 'Nuno'.




I love his black and white drawings, they look so beautiful and feminine.
Nuno only works in two colour ways, colour or black and white. Little piece of information for you!
Let me know what you think!

XOXO

3 comments:

Nuno Da Costa said...

Thanks so much for sharing my doodles! So pleased you like them :-)
Wishing you every success for the future. I am sure it will be filled with great things!!!

Many thanks and all the best,
Nx
Nuno Da Costa

Jessica Elaine-Clare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Elaine-Clare said...

Honestly no need to thank me, they are so inspirational and beautiful. I don't just like them, I love them! Thank you so much!

JEC xoxo